Butter Coffee? Ever heard of it? Why put butter in your coffee? I make this every morning in my Instagram stories, but here I wanted to explain WHY and the benefits of doing it!
First, you should ONLY use grass-fed ghee or coconut oil. These 2 fats have the RIGHT fats that regulate cholesterol, not add to it. It also has the best ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (which reduces body fat) and is a good source of vitamin K, both of which according to a studies reduce the risk of heart disease.
Second, putting plain milk or cream reduces the amount of catechins, a type of antioxidant found in coffee. By eliminating milk in your coffee, you get 3.4 times more antioxidants because casein, the milk protein, binds to the catechins and makes them unavailable. (grass-fed, clarified butter [ghee] does not contain casein).
And last, drinking butter coffee each morning puts your body in the routine to burn fat all day, helping you trim down overall. CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), found in ghee, has been shown to reduce body fat mass especially in overweight individuals.
TO MAKE IT FROTHY:
I always add 1 Tbsp of Vital Proteins grass-fed gelatin….but the froth is just icing on the cake to the health benefits.
It Improves Gut Health and Digestion!
Similarly to collagen, gelatin is beneficial for preventing intestinal damage and improving the lining of the digestive tract, thereby preventing permeability and leaky gut syndrome. ?The gut lining is one of the body’s most important lines of defense, since it keeps particles from food, bacteria and yeast inside the digestive system where they belong and prevents leakage into the bloodstream, which triggers inflammation.
Click HERE for more gelatin benefits:
• Improves skin health
• Protects joints and lowers joint pain
• Lifts your mood
• Maintains strong bones
• Helps improve sleep quality
• Aids in heart health
• High in protein (see below)
Approx. 1 1/2 Tbsp contains 18g of protein and 75 calories.
MY BUTTER COFFEE RECIPE:
16 oz warm coffee (not super hot)
1 Tbsp grass-fed ghee
1 scoop Vital Proteins grass-fed gelatin
1. Blend coffee and ghee in blender (I use my Vitamix) a few seconds.
2. Turn off blender, remove lid, then turn on blender on the lowest speed.
3. While blender is on lowest speed, add gelatin. Secure lid then slowly increase speed to the highest and give it one quick “wiz” on high. *Do not blend too long or it will overwhip.
4. Pour coffee in cup and let it sit a minute. The froth will rise to the top.