I’ve tried for year to re-create one of my all time childhood halloween candy… BUTTERFINGER! Every time I try, it’s always a #fail. But this time I think I may have done it and am so excited to share with you all!
You all know I don’t eat peanuts (if you don’t, please READ THIS POST how they can upset your digestion) so of course this version is peanut free since I used Organic Sunbutter (just one ingredient – sunflower seeds!)
I also get asked quite often on Instagram “do you eat corn?” And the answer to that isn’t a cut and dry “yes / no.” Whole corn from the cob or popcorn can cause upsets with me and often they pass through the stomach whole and can get cause in pockets in the digestive tract. However, ground corn like cornmeal, corn tortillas, polenta, etc. don’t give me trouble because it’s finely ground. So using corn flakes in this recipe wasn’t an issue for me…..the issue was finding a clean enough brand ro use! (which I did!)
I’d like to also take a moment to focus on the actual ingredients in the original Butterfinger. Have you ever read them?
corn syrup, sugar, ground roasted peanuts, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, cocoa, molasses, and less than 1% of dairy product solids, confectioner’s corn flakes, nonfat milk, salt, soy lecithin, soybean oil, cornstarch, natural flavors, monoglycerides, tbhq and citric acid (to preserve freshness), annatto color.
The above was taken straight from www.Butterfinger.com. Needless to say this version is 100%
– Peanut Free
– Nut Free
– Refined Sugar Free
– Dairy Free
– Soy Free
Just 7 simple, REAL food ingredients!
*Please note: If you think the ingredients are “high in XYZ” this recipe makes ALOT (about 20 servings). So feel free to cut the measurements in half if need be.
1 cup organic Sunbutter
3 Tbsp raw honey
1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp sea salt
1 scoop Further Food’s grass-fed gelatin (15% off: lilsipper)
2 cups corn flakes (I used this brand
Pure unsweetened chocolate to coat. I used Santa Barbara Chocolate’s organic 100% discs (15% off: lilsipper15)
1. Mix first 4 ingredients in a saucepan over low heat until well combined. Be sure to continue stirring so it doesn’t burn.
2. Add in gelatin and mix again.
3. Crush corn flakes in a large bowl, then add Sunbutter mixture to bowl with corn flakes and mix until well combined and set aside.
4. Melt chocolate (no exact measurements) then pour into a pan lined with wax or parchment paper and freeze for 5 minutes or until chocolate is solid. *NOTE: this step can be omitted and you have the option to just skip to step 6 and only have chocolate on one side.
5. Remove pan from freezer and press Butterfinger paste firmly into pan. place in freezer another 10 minutes.
6. Remove pan from freezer again and pour melted chocolate over the top of your Butterfinger paste. Place in freezer one last time for about 5-10 minutes for chocolate to harden. When ready, slice and serve. Store in freezer.