Who knew cake made from QUINOA could be soooo good!? The juices from my probiotic chia jam sunk into the cake to make the flavors bangin’! And yes, it’s paleo (quinoa is a seed not a grain and many people think otherwise) with gut healing benefits of collagen!
2 cups cooked quinoa (about 1/2 cup uncooked)
3 Tbsp flaxmeal + 8 Tbsp water
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder ($10 off: lilsipper)
2 Tbsp honey or blackstrap molasses
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 scoops Vital Proteins grass-fed collagen
1. Allow quinoa cool after cooking (I cooked it the night before and let cool in the fridge)
2. Mix flaxmeal and water in a small bowl and let it sit 5-10 minutes to thicken.
3. Blend quinoa, flax eggs, and apple sauce in a high speed blender until smooth. Then add remaining ingredients and blend again until it creates a smooth puree.
4. Transfer batter to choice of baking dish (cake pan, cupcake tins, ramekins, etc.) and bake at 350 F for 30- 45 minutes depending on what type of dish you bake in (the larger the dish the longer it will take to bake – i.e. cupcakes will take the least amount of time)
5. Carefully slit top of cake, fill with my probiotic jam, then cover with the piece you sliced open and serve.